This course teaches participants how to implement self-service Business Intelligence (BI) and Big Data analysis solutions using the Microsoft data platform. The course discusses the rationale for self-service BI and describes how to use Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft SharePoint Server, and Microsoft Office 365 Power BI to create self-service data models and reports. It then goes on to describe how to use Windows Azure HDInsight to perform Big Data analysis. This course is designed for participants interested in learning SQL Server 2012 or SQL Server 2014. It covers the new features in SQL Server 2014, but also the important capabilities across the SQL Server data platform.
- Describe key features and benefits of self-service BI;
- Use SQL Server Reporting Services to implement a self-service reporting solution;
- Use PowerPivot in Microsoft Excel to create analytical data models;
- Use a Power Query in Microsoft Excel to import data into a data model;
- Use Power View in Microsoft Excel to create interactive data visualizations;
- Use the Power Map in Microsoft Excel to create geographic data visualizations;
- Use Microsoft SharePoint Server to implement collaborative self-service BI solutions;
- Provision and use of a Windows Azure HDInsight cluster for Big Data analysis;
- Use Pig and Hive to analyze big data in Windows Azure HDInsight; and
- Design and implement Big Data processes to support self-service BI.